Your Edgewater basement is flooded and filled with water. Now what?
Leaks, floods, and plumbing problems can be stressful. Mid-Atlantic Water Services is here to remove those worries. We are ready to offer the home solutions you need here in Maryland.
No matter the issue, our professionals are here to assist with your plumbing, heating, and cooling needs to support a safe and healthy home.
Basement Floods in Edgewatrer
Basement floods can happen to anybody. According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), as little as one inch of floodwater can result in $25,000 worth of damage.
When dealing with a basement flood, be sure to do the following:
- Inspect the area: The first action to take after a flood inside your Edgewater home is to assess the situation. Anything more than a small puddle should be left to a team of plumbing professionals.
Floods can pose an electrical hazard. Never attempt the water removal process on your own unless you are sure it is safe to do so. If your electrical panel is not near the flood, turn off the electrical system.
Until you figure out the cause of the flood, turn off your water supply to prevent any further damage if it is related to a plumbing issue.
- Call our plumbing professionals: Contact our Mid-Atlantic Water Services professionals for help! At Mid-Atlantic Water Services, we offer water removal and restoration services. All you need to do is give our experts a call—we will take care of the rest!
- Remove the water: When you call our professionals, we will move quickly to address your emergency. The water removal process should begin as soon as possible. Otherwise, you risk further damage to your home and your health.
Flood water could be contaminated with bacteria, sewage, waste, chemicals, and more. Plus, leaving water sitting increases the risk of mold growth.
Address floods as soon as you discover them so we can remove the water quickly.
- Dry and clean the area: Let the area dry out. Once it does, be sure to properly clean rugs, carpeting, and floors affected by the flood. Wait until everything is dry before moving any furniture or decor back.
You may be able to speed up the drying process with the help of a dehumidifier or fan. Both of these support proper airflow and can decrease the risk of mold growth, aiding with drying and protecting your health.
- Address the cause of the flood: Our professionals will assess the area of the flood and investigate how it originated. Whether the flood in your basement is the result of a leaking or burst pipe, clogged sewer line, or poor drainage, our plumbing experts will provide a solution for you.
How to Prevent Future Floods
Here are several suggestions you can take to reduce the risk of a basement flood:
- Properly clean and maintain your gutters: Regularly remove debris and blockage from your gutters. Otherwise, a dispositioned or clogged gutter could result in flooding, especially after heavy rainfall.
- Install a sump pump: A sump pump is a perfect solution for preventing floods. Sump pumps are designed to protect your home from water buildup and flooding.
A sump pump detects when water levels are too high, and it turns on to transfer the water through a pipe outside into your backyard, preventing your basement from flooding.
- Schedule routine plumbing maintenance visits: You should have at least one professional plumbing maintenance visit each year. With plumbing maintenance, you get peace of mind knowing your plumbing pipes and systems are operating efficiently.
Our Mid-Atlantic Water Services experts can confirm there are no issues that need to be addressed, and if we do discover a problem, we can handle it before it progresses and causes any leaks, floods, or damage.
Contact Our Plumbing Experts
Whether you are dealing with a flood or another plumbing problem in your Edgewater, MD home, look to Mid-Atlantic Water Services. However minor or major the issue, we are here to help! Call us at (443) 808-0420 or request service online today.